Friday, July 20, 2012

Fond Memories of Newport Colony

I have lived with my best friend Amber for a total of five years. The first two years we rented a house with two other girls, the remaining three years we rented an apartment together. This is a reflection back on our time spent at Newport Colony.


My cat lounging by the window on a rainy afternoon.


The smooth silhouette of a red-shouldered hawk in contrast to the ruffled foliage of the tree. 


Newport Colony was a very dog friendly community and when we moved in two of our immediate neighbors had a combined total of three black labs. Amber and I would often go downstairs to play with the dogs. Over time an old bird feeder had been repurposed to hold play things such as tennis balls and stuffed chew toys.


I brought my camera outside and began experimenting with whatever caught my attention. I was sorting leaves when I found this tiny black and orange bug. It is an Asian Multicolored Lady Beetle and it is the only one I have ever seen the entire three years I lived at that apartment. 


My cat basking in the early morning sun. 


This picture was pure luck. I was trying to get a good shot of these wild mushrooms but at the time I had accidentally messed with one of the photo settings on my camera. It was taking pictures, however, the viewfinder was completely blacked out so I couldn't actually see what I was photographing. After taking several blind shots of the mushrooms from above I finally decided to try and reset the camera. In my frustration I dropped it and decided to go back inside before I did any further damage. Amber helped me fix the settings and when I upload the photos I only had one clear, focused shot, which happened to have a great perspective. It was the shot that went off when I dropped the camera.


Amber training her new puppy as my cat intently observes from the second story window.


One of my favorite photos of Amber and Lexi. 


This lovely bouquet was a "just because" gift from Amber. 


This photo was taken after a stormy day as I was returning home to my apartment. 


The view of our apartment just after dusk. 


On this particular day I was washing my sheets. It didn't stop my cat from curling up as close to me as he could while I was working on my computer. 


A nice, clear day at the pond near the entrance of our apartment. 


I took this photo of one of the flood lights while I was taking a evening walk. 


A beautiful view of the sky shortly after sunset. I love the way the warm apartment lights are complemented by the soft purple of the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment