Saturday, January 22, 2011

Atlanta

Atlanta had many beautiful experiences to offer: My first business trip with DRIP, getting to see The Blue Man Group in the Fox Theater, helping Mariko facilitate Master Classes at the Core Dance Studio. That entire trip was absolutely wonderful in many different ways.

One of our adventures in Atlanta involved going to the aquarium. I brought my camera and allowed my inner observationalist to step into the light.


This image is of a tank that is actually on the ceiling and wraps around the room. Sunlight was able to streak through the water creating an elegant shift from blue to gold. 


The Atlanta Aquarium is home to two albino alligators. Its white skin cuts through the dark landscape like a knife. Its stillness betrays its danger. 


The other alligator was much closer to the glass and I was able to get a better look. Something about the skin being so light made the texture stand out even more. 


This little girl's name was Ruth. I was sitting in that dark window looking at the piranhas when she crawled up next to me. She asked me some questions about my camera and then asked me to take a picture of her in front of the glass, which I did. We finished chatting and I crawled out of the space to go to the next exhibit. When I turned around I saw her curled up in the little nook gazing intently at the fish. I loved the way the light from the tank made her visible in the dark. I think this one came out better than the original one she asked me to take.


When I came up to the Beluga exhibit they were very active. They were swimming around each other and kept interacting in a way that felt like they were in a heated conversation. I took several photos of them, but this one was my favorite. Their playfulness and graceful curves really give this photograph a unique character.


In this tropical tank full of color I was able to spot one tiny, isolated sea horse. 


Jelly Fish don't even look like they should be alive, and yet they move with their own undeniable pulse. Pushing up slow and steady to reach for the light or drifting almost motionless with the current, they move with a grace that is uniquely theirs. The Pacific Sea Nettle is extremely toxic, yet in the the light of the tank manages to live in a kind of angelic awe. 


The Atlanta Aquarium is the only aquarium outside of Asia to house Whale Sharks. They have two males and two females each about 30 feet in length. I didn't know that they were going to be in that exhibit until I saw them drift over me like rain clouds. They actually block out the light from above. 


Two people enjoying the effortless gliding of a manta ray. 


One of Atlanta's office buildings. I love the form and shape of the structure as you look up at it from such a close perspective. 


I liked the look of this tree in front of a building disappearing in the January fog. 


Mariko on the subway to one of her Master Classes. She was taking notes and preparing for her students.

3 comments:

  1. Really love that shot of the tree and building in fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to also say, "Currents and Color" is the perfect title for this series of shots.

    ReplyDelete