Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Instituto Ricardo Brennand

I was lucky enough to get to visit the Instituto Ricardo Brennand while in Brazil. Ricardo Brennand, brother of ceramic artist Francisco Brennand, became a renowned collector and founded the museum, art gallery, library and park located within the property. 


Walking up to the institute we were treated to a stunning European brick castle set against the Brazilian rain forest. 


Lovely garden pond just across the castle. 



This statue simply took my breath away. As an artist myself, I am used to creating in several different mediums. But I could never quite wrap my head around sculpture. In most mediums like drawing or painting you are adding. Pencil to paper; paint to canvas. You build the image up with a series of strokes. But with this kind of sculpture you are given a block and have to chip away at it to reveal the image. Work in pencil and paint can easily be corrected or fixed, but one wrong move with a chisel and the whole piece could be damaged beyond repair. You don't get a second chance; you get to start over from scratch. I am truly in awe of the skills that sculptors possess. 

When I saw this piece I was floored. The ethereal, fluid movement of muscular bodies surrounded by the soft, swirling clouds. This sculpture is hundreds of pounds yet looks absolutely weightless. The most astonishing details are where the body parts are overlapped by the most delicate wisps of the clouds. Barely seen, but most painstakingly executed. 




A close up look at the arms of two men wrestling. I love the simultaneous power of the bodies and the gentleness of the hands. 


A beautiful piece titled "Allegory of Night". The rippled fabric creates a sweeping arc over her head. 


 "Woman in Hammock" By Antonio Frilli. This one blew me away. Not just for the mastery of art and form but for the use of space and balance. I've never seen a sculpture that looked quite like it. She rests, perfectly balanced and in complete serenity. There is even a elaborate pattern carved into her blanket and in the weaving of her hammock. 


A close up look at the crisp fabrics and her delicate features. 


This sculpture was outside on a terrace waiting to be restored. I was struck by her pensive and sensuous expression. 



I was pleased to capture this couple sitting under the statue of David. 


Cattle grazing just outside the property. 


Sunset just beyond the garden.

1 comment:

  1. these statues were wonderful! I loved the patterns in the cloth of the hammock woman.

    ReplyDelete