Saturday, September 15, 2012

New Smyrna Beach

My aunt and uncle rented a beach house in New Smyrna for a week. I was lucky enough to have some time to spend with them.


This is photo of the majestic swirling of clouds that marked the first night's sunset. 

Being that my family is from the west coast of Florida I usually get to enjoy sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico. Since I was on the east coast I wanted to take the opportunity to see the sun rise over the Atlantic. I set my alarm for 6am the following morning. Once I was awake I decided to go to the roof top patio. I was able to catch this beautiful moment. 


A jagged row of clouds hover just above the ocean. The first bits of pale sunlight creep up slowly. The slight bit of warmth reaches to gently touch the moon while Venus hangs farther above. 


Once I made it down to the beach access I was concerned that all the clouds would make it difficult for me to watch the sunrise. Instead, the clouds seemed to lovingly form the shape of a heart around the neon sun. 


After the sun rose I walked down to the beach to dip my toes in the ocean. When I looked back I saw that my feet had made a perfect track across the sand. 

Later that day we were on our way into town to do some shopping. Out of no where my uncle slammed the breaks on his truck and made a u-turn. My cousin jumped out of the car to rescue a baby Gopher Tortoise that was stranded in the middle of the road. I will still never understand how my uncle was able to see such a tiny little thing while driving such a large truck. 


The bottom of her shell was flat so I could tell she was a female. From her  pebbly shell, to her wrinkly neck, all the way to her scaly feet, her body was an intricate display of texture.


I love the way she nestled perfectly into my hand. 


Later on in the day we brought her back to the beach house before we released her back into the brush. As the cool evening air came in over the ocean I placed her on my lap so she could make use of my body heat. 


The blazing peach and electric blues of the second nights sunset. 


The light house of New Smyrna - lit up with city against the cool night sky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment