Thursday, December 23, 2010


Over the summer I was lucky enough to visit my best friend Laura in Virginia for her wedding.  Our parents were friends before we were even born and we were only born four months apart. I can literally say that I have known Laura for her entire life. The years have moved us to different states, but no matter how much time has pasted we seem to pick right back up where we left off.

She is as much a part of my life as anyone in my family. There are pictures of us in cribs together with nothing but diapers on. I had my first sleep over at her house. We watched our first R rated movie together. I never got in trouble much as a kid but for some reason I always got in trouble with her. We were usually laughing too hard to let it get us down for long. Fortunately, that trait has lasted us well into adulthood, and I am proud to say that after twenty seven years, their is no one I'd rather be in trouble with.

We hadn't seen each other in two years, but when I found out she was getting married I know exactly where I needed to be.  I was headed to Virginia.

Her fiancee's name was Cuth and I was a little bit nervous about meeting him. They both came to pick me up from the airport and buy the end of that 40 minute ride all three of us were laughing like crazy. I felt like I had made a new friend. I felt like I was eight years old all over again.

It was the week before their wedding and they had every right to be stressed over all the last minute details. I was fully prepared to help them organize and get whatever they needed done. To my pleasant surprise they had almost everything squared away and offered to give me a tour of Virginia. They made me feel like a queen for a week. Even going to Richmond to help Laura pick out her wedding shoes felt like we were skipping school.

Laura striking a pose on one of Richmond's historic buildings. 

Laura and Cuth sharing a moment in the morning sunlight at the Lincoln Memorial. 

A beautiful morning at the Vietnam Memorial. It was completely worth getting up early. 

I absolutely love this photograph and how the multiple reflections give it such a strong sense of dimension. 

I saw this funny little guy in the street on the way to the Natural History Museum. 

Laura and Cuth at his parent's house after their wedding. 

I took this photograph after they dropped me off at the Dulles Airport. My flight ended up getting delayed and I had some time to wander around. I found this enormous hallway with these giant windows facing the airfield. At that moment their were no planes in the sky and the hallway was deserted except for myself. The light from the setting sun was in just the right spot to bounce off the metal awning over the door. It made the airport feel ethereal. 

It ended up being a long flight and I was happy to get home, but Virginia gave me nothing but laughter and great memories.  I'm looking forward to my next adventure with Laura and Cuth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment